Message from Erik Rees (August 1, 2020)
I truly hope this finds you safe and enjoying your summer. Our family just got back from our annual summer trip to Palm Springs. Yes, it was hot but I have to admit the golfing was fun!
Speaking of golfing, I wanted to send you an update on our 10th Annual NEGU Golf Classic – powered by YouTheory® that is scheduled for Monday, September 21st at the Coto de Caza Golf & Racquet Club. First, we are moving forward with the event and hope you will join us.
Second, I wanted to let you know we have been working very hard to create a safe and meaningful day for everyone. Here are just a few ways we are pivoting for your safety and to still ensure we can raise the essential funds we need to send 10,000 JoyJars® to kids fighting cancer this holiday season. Together, we got this!
- Pre-registration: We are moving our main check-in process and all bidding to a fun, easy to use and interactive mobile platform, which you will learn more about once you have purchased your foursome.
- Mobile Bidding: All registered guests will receive an email as we get closer to September with quick instructions to set-up their account, select the items they are interested in and start their bidding. There will be over 275 items to bid on, so get your shopping lists ready! Golfers will also be encouraged to share this link with family and friends.
- Tournament format: To honor the current Orange County Health guidelines, we are conducting two smaller “shot-gun” flights. The first flight will be in the morning and the second in the early afternoon. This will allow each golfer to enjoy a sanitized golf cart and honor physical distancing during our post golf lunch / dinner programs. Mask wearing will be encouraged when you are not able to honor physical distancing guidelines.
- Check-in: When you arrive for your scheduled start time, I will be there to greet you with my mask on and ready to give you an “air” high-five. At this time, you can have a member of Coto’s team (who will be wearing a mask and gloves) take your clubs for you or you can keep your clubs with you.
You will then be directed to one of our six check-in stations (located outside) and will be greeted by one of our awesome team members. Please note, the check-in tables will be six feet apart and our team members will be smiling behind their masks and a plexiglass divider. During this time, you can choose to participate in our NEGU Fun Pack ($75) and receive your drink tickets to be used during the event. Lastly, you will be given your TravisMathew certificate ($200 value) and order sheet to choose the items you wish to receive. While you are enjoying golf, your selected items will be packaged for you by a member of the TravisMathew team who will be wearing a mask and gloves. You will pick up your gift during your post golf program.
- Golf carts: After you have selected your TravisMathew gear, you will be directed to your sanitized cart, given the opportunity to customize your drink cooler, and be served some snacks. Please note, for the safety of everyone, we are keeping the putting green and driving range closed.
- Let’s Golf: After a few brief announcements, you will be directed to your starting hole to enjoy 18 holes of amazing golf. While playing, you will have an opportunity to win a 2 year lease on a new 2020 Toyota, participate in the putting contest, win some other great prizes, and keep your cooler stocked at one of the refueling stations.
- After the round: Once you are finished golfing, you will return your clubs to your car and your cart to the starting location, and then head over to the outside Pavilion to pick up your TravisMathew items and enjoy our “physically distanced” reception, meal, awards presentation, and live auction.
I truly hope after reading the above, you can see we are doing our best to ensure the safety of our golfers, our volunteers and our staff. Rest assured, we will be prepared to follow the most up-to-date guidelines we are given by the team at Coto de Caza, who are following strict regulations with oversight from the OC Health Care Agency.
If you are not able to make it, I would ask that you please consider making an online donation at negu.org/golf and give your best gift to help us stuff and send 10,000 JoyJars to kids fighting cancer in December. Each one of Jessie’s JoyJars is $25 and for each one you sponsor a generous donor will match your gift. So, let’s say you sponsor 10 JoyJars with a donation of $250, your wonderful gift gets doubled to $500 and 20 kids will receive a much-needed boost of JOY because of YOU!
In closing, thank you for always helping me feel like a proud father! I hope I’ll see you on September 21st!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19, event details are subject to change for the overall health and safety of our golfers, volunteers and team members.